Thursday, September 6, 2012

Jacky 101: Welcome to My Blog!

Hello there! I'm Jacky Saldana and I'm really excited to be in this class. In the future I hope to become a marine biologist and eventually enter the United Nations (the UN) through the environmental branch. I've always had a passion for the environment and a thirst for knowledge. I also have an interest in social issues and current events in regards to international politics. I also really love cultures and languages. I'm fascinated by the idea of different lifestyles coexisting and the beauty of each way of life. I hope to learn as many languages as I possibly can. I would really like to go into the Peace Corps for a year between graduation and grad school. I LOVE to travel. I've been to Australia, Mexico, Canada, and most of the continental US. I hope to study abroad in college. A friend once jokingly told me that the perfect career for me would be a "travelling marine biologist". To be honest, that sounds absolutely wonderful to me. Some schools that I am currently looking at are Michigan State, Duke, Rutgers, and Brown. I really enjoy volunteering and am really involved in theatre. I am the president of the SHS drama club and Interact club. I am also an executive officer in Student Council, a member of NHS, a Spartan Mentor, a section leader in marching band, and a member of wind ensemble. Outside of school I participate in community theatre, the Sparta Historical Commission, and my church. I'm a workaholic but I don't deny it. I'm always busy but I love what I do and I find it extremely rewarding.

I'm taking this course because it is incredibly applicable to my career. A big component of marine biology happens to be...biology. I took the freshman biology course at Calvin this summer so I'm hoping to reinforce what I learned with this class. So far it's been great and I'm really enjoying it. Apart from reinforcing what I learned over the summer, I'd also really like to make up my mind about majoring in biology. While I do love it, I am just like any other Senior...lost. I do have some doubts about my decision. Hopefully this course can give me a better idea about what exactly I'm getting myself into and if I do want to follow through with my current career plans.

6 comments:

  1. Wow! You have done more in your short life than I've done in my much longer life :)

    What a great resume. Marine biology certainly does seem like it is up your alley. All of the schools you mentioned are well known for their programs so you can't go wrong there. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mr. Landry! That really means a lot. :)

      I was told by a couple people that you mentioned a conference of some sort to do with marine biology? I'd love to know more about it if you get more info.

      Delete
  2. I am currently looking at Michigan state as well! And one of the things that caught my attention was their great study abroad program. Maybe I will see you there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No way! That's so great! What are you planning on majoring in?

      I am interested in their study abroad as well. I probably will do it because it will be the easiest way to apply my major while I'm there. Do you have any ideas of where you would go?

      Delete
  3. Jacki,
    What exactly does a marine biologist do? Also, it is so cool that you want to be part of the Peace Corps! You definitely have a great future ahead of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A marine biologist studies ocean life. More of the actual animals than the environment. I've always loved visiting big aquariums and as dorky as it sounds...The Little Mermaid was my favorite Disney movie. :)

      Thanks so much! That really does mean a lot to me. It's going to be a lot of work but in the end it will all be worth it.

      Delete